Lithuanian Stud Farm – the oldest and largest stud farm in the country

“Lietuvos žirgynas” – Company code: 302795881, VAT code: LT100006915819, registered office: Žirgų g. 2, Riešė, Vilnius r. municipality, LT-14265. Registered on June 5, 2012. The company’s main activity is the breeding of horses and other hoofed animals (Activity code: 014300), as well as other sporting activities (Activity code: 931900).

The legal form of the company is a closed joint-stock company. The company was established through the reorganization and merger of UAB Vilniaus žirgynas, UAB Nemuno žirgynas, and UAB Sartų žirgynas. The reorganization was carried out in 2012 in accordance with the conditions of the reorganization. The company’s registration data is maintained at the Vilnius branch of the State Enterprise “Centre of Registers”. The authorized capital is divided into 5,297,506 ordinary registered shares, of which the State holds 4,746,979 shares, and 550,527 shares are held by natural persons. Each share has a nominal value of EUR 0.29. The Company’s main shareholder is the State of Lithuania, represented by the Ministry of Agriculture, holding 89.61% of the Company’s shares, with 177 natural persons having the remaining 10.39% of the shares.

The Company’s governing bodies are the General Meeting of Shareholders, the Company’s collegial governing body – the Management Board, the Company’s sole governing body – the Company’s CEO.

The Company’s vision is to be one of the largest and most reliable horse breeding farms in Lithuania.

The Company’s mission is to preserve and improve the genetic diversity and gene pool of horse breeds bred in Lithuania, to breed and provide breeding material of Lithuanian gene pool horses to Lithuanian and foreign horse breeders, to prepare horses for sale and sport, and to provide a variety of horse breeding services.

Strategic objectives of the company:

  • Increase the Company’s profitability.
  • Preserve the genetic resources of local horse breeds.
  • To develop the tradition of equestrian sport.

Company values:

The Company’s path to success is determined by its values. The Company’s values determine the attitude of employees towards work, the working environment, and relationships. They are based on customer orientation, knowledge, and satisfaction of customer needs. The Company’s values help to create the Company’s internal culture, create the conditions for new ideas to emerge, and help employees increase their competence and apply it in their daily work for the benefit of the Company.

The Company’s values are:

  • Responsibility: cooperation with partners based on trust, fulfillment of obligations to employees and partners, and honest and fair treatment of employees and customers.
  • Leadership: leadership in the markets for the Company’s services, ensuring the quality of the products and services the Company develops, fair competition in the markets for its activities and with its employees, a clear understanding of the long-term vision and short-term objectives and their achievement.
  • Innovativeness: continuous willingness to improve and change, constant search for new, more advanced working tools and methods, and understanding that innovation is the basis of the Company’s competitive advantage.
  • Professionalism: The Company applies in its work the knowledge and experience acquired over a long period and is constantly learning and improving, unconditional dedication to its work and openness to innovations, sharing knowledge and experience with clients, colleagues, and partners.

The stud breeds and raises more than 900 horses of nine different breeds. Here you can meet horses of the žemaituk, large žemaituk, trakėnai, Lithuanian heavy, riding, Arabian, ristun, Holstein, and Shetland pony breeds.

  • Respect for people: Recognition that employees are the foundation of successful operations, building and maintaining the Company’s traditions and culture, and inspiring and motivating employees to work efficiently for the benefit of the Company.


The history of the stud farm dates back to the 18th century when the famous Trakėnai stud farm was established in East Prussia. During the first years of the Soviet occupation, the stud ceased to exist and the breeding horses were transported to a stud farm on the Russian Rostov Steppe. Later, the Trakehns were returned to Lithuania and purebred horses of the exceptional Trakehns breed were bred. In 2012, the horseracing farms that had previously operated separately and belonged to the State – Vilniaus Žirgynas, Sartai Žirgynas, and Nemunas Žirgynas – were merged to form the company Lietuvos Žirgynas.

Translated with (free version)